soft skills for an M&A manager?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Dear community, from your point of view, what are the essential soft skills of an M&A manager?

Andrea Rother
    Participant

I think organisational skills & the ability to mediate between parties is essential. A good project manager who is able to delegate and while keeping a good overview of all important topics will do well in M&A

Jennifer Leow
    Participant

I think an M&A person should understand psychology. For owner-managed businesses, casual talks with the owners may help to understand their “true” motivations and demotivations.

Clarence Yeo
    Participant

I think the following soft skills may help as a M&A Manager:
    1. Problem solving skills
    2. Ability to communicate effectively, with strong interpersonal skills
    3. Understanding of the business and functional areas
    4. Financial acumen
    5. Ability to think strategically
    6. Ability to influence corporate opinion and key stakeholders
    7. Organizational knowledge and motivational skills (especially for integration stage)

Carmen Sanchez
    Participant

A short list that comes to mind

1. Charisma and communications skills
    2. Knowledge base
    3. Critical thinking skills
    4. Organized
    5. Does what they say they are going to do

Bernold Beckenbauer
    Participant

Key soft skills for an M&A manager I see the following:
    1. Communication: Effective communication is crucial for an M&A manager to convey information clearly, negotiate deals, and collaborate with various stakeholders.
    2. Relationship Building: Building and maintaining relationships with clients, partners, and team members is essential for successful M&A transactions. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish trust are vital.
    3. Emotional Intelligence: M&A deals involve high-stakes situations and can be emotionally charged. Having emotional intelligence helps the manager navigate complex dynamics, manage conflicts, and make informed decisions.
    4. Adaptability: M&A transactions often involve unpredictable circumstances and rapid changes. An M&A manager should be flexible, adaptable, and open to new ideas and approaches.
    5. Problem-Solving: M&A deals can present complex challenges and obstacles. Strong problem-solving skills enable an M&A manager to identify issues, analyze options, and find creative solutions to drive successful outcomes.
    6. Leadership: Leadership skills are crucial for guiding teams, setting goals, motivating individuals, and overseeing the M&A process. The ability to inspire and influence others is essential.
    7. Analytical Thinking: M&A managers need to analyze financial data, market trends, and strategic implications to make informed decisions. Strong analytical thinking helps in evaluating risks, identifying synergies, and assessing the overall value of a deal.
    8. Negotiation: Negotiation skills are fundamental in M&A transactions. An M&A manager must be able to negotiate favorable terms, resolve conflicts, and reach mutually beneficial agreements while maintaining positive relationships.
    9. Time Management: M&A deals often have tight timelines and multiple concurrent tasks. Effective time management skills enable an M&A manager to prioritize activities, meet deadlines, and ensure the smooth progression of the deal.

Andrea Chiu
    Participant

Some of the soft skills to consider are:
    1. Communication & ability to build relationships and manage personalities
    2. Negotiation skills
    3. Problem solving and analytical skills
    4. Ability to empathize and assess the situation from the other person’s perspective
    5. Receptiveness to cultural sensitivities

Janani Ravishankar
    Participant

I think the following would come handy:

– Communication and negotiation skills
    – Project management and prioritization skills
    – Organizing and problem-solving skills
    – Agility and active listening skills

Teo Kim Heng
    Participant

I opine the key soft skills, aka characteristics, of an M&A manager encompass:

• empathic, personable and understanding
    • responsiveness, prompt and timely
    • communicative
    • relatable
    • credible and trustworthy
    • acumen
    • strategic and tactical
    • detailed
    • influencing
    • encouraging and motivational
    • resolute and resilient

Jianping Gu
    Participant

Logical thinking and communication skills are key to any success. Soft skills are enhanced by technical skills as well. Familiar with the business, the process, the technique, and the risks blends with great soft skills can bring M&A manager to an outperformer.

Magdalena Stadtmann
    Participant

In addition to all the skills listed above, I think that being a great and culturally sensitive networker is also an important skill. M&A manager needs to bring many people and disciplines together, often across the borders. Good “people skills” are a must.

Whether it’s in corporate or advisory firm environment, M&A function is known for being extremely versatile and demanding. To be relevant in this field, I believe an M&A manager should:
    1/be prompt at problem solving
    2/be at ease in communicating in diverse audience contexts and possesses strong interpersonal skills
    3/have strong business and financial acumens
    4/think strategically but also be able to envisage operational implications

Seema Mehta
    Participant

SevenMentor’ Full Stack Training Institute in Pune is dedicated to delivering precise, industry-driven training to students and working professionals to shape their careers. If you want to improve your skills, our Full Stack Classes in Pune are a great place to start!

Cameron Shouppe
    Participant

Some essential soft skills in my opinion
    1-Swift to act
    2-Professional communication
    3-Listen to understand

Vishal Patel
    Participant

– Ability to be nimble
    – Effective management of different workstreams and tracking activities
    – Holding parties responsible on outcomes
    – Direct communication

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Are you sure you
want to log out?

Book a Demo

Book a Demo

Request a Brochure

Request a Brochure

Contact us to discuss your goals and needs!

Contact us to discuss your goals and needs!

In order to become a charterholder you need to complete one of the IMAA programs