International Mergers & Acquisitions Expert (IM&A)
What Is IMAA’s Competitive Advantage?
The most lucrative but also most challenging mergers and acquisitions are global opportunities, so why limit your training to a local training that may only focus on national laws and settings? IMAA curriculum is the international golden standard in the M&A industry. We offer the only Mergers & Acquisitions Certificate Program and Designation that equips you with global best-practice and regional expertise.
Most important of all, this training is not some mere M&A course at introduction level or theoretical. Every session is crafted and taught by our M&A veterans that are willing to share their insights and know-how gained in years of real-world practice.
What Can I Expect From This Program?
The International Mergers & Acquisitions Expert (IM&A) program dives deep into the entire M&A process—from strategy and valuation to execution and post-merger management (PMI).
Whether managing or advising a merger or acquisition for your company or assisting your clients, we will equip you with the tools and knowledge you need to skip the common pitfalls and succeed.
In the highly interactive on-site course or the self-paced online course, you’ll take your skills to the next level by practicing:
Expanding your M&A perspective
Hone new target identification strategies and advanced synergy analyses to close the best deals and navigate common post-merger integration pitfalls.
Mapping out the negotiation landscape
Identifying the true stakeholders and likely competitors for the target ahead of time, so you’re ready with the right strategies and tactics for closing the transaction without trouble.
Expanding your M&A perspective
By “looking ahead and reasoning back,” you’ll practice implementing exceptional value analysis and comprehensive due diligence so you can lead your team into unlocking the most lucrative merger and acquisition opportunities.
Take the online certificate program while working and without travelling to any course location. Available entirely online. All course materials and fees included. Register now to start your IM&A Certification program!
This program is organized with our partner: Singapore Management University (SMU) who was recently ranked #6 business school in Asia-Pacific by Financial Times.
Meet other executives and exlore how to benefit from the growth opportunities with M&A in Asia-Pacific using global best practices.
Learn from experienced practitioners and faculty from South East Asia, Europe, and the US.
6 March 2019, 9:00 am
9 March 2019, 6:30 pm
Meet a global mix of participants during our program in the heart of Europe, a bridge between Western and Eastern Europe. Taught by experienced faculty willing to share and transfer their know how.
18 March 2019, 1 pm
22 March 2019, 1 pm
Meet peers interested to broaden their horizon on M&A and exchange best practices. Taught by experienced faculty and practitioners from Canada.
The 30 hours program starts at Monday noon allowing for participants to travel to Toronto on Monday morning. We will close the program by Friday, 1 pm.
29 April 2019, 12:20 pm
03 May 2019, 01:20 pm
Join our program in Europe’s no. 1 financial hub for M&A. Taught by experienced practitioners and faculty from the UK and Europe.
London, United Kingdom
13 May 2019, 12:20 pm
17 May 2019, 1:20 pm
Attend the program in New York – the world’s no. 1 financial center. Learn about best practices and new trends im M&A from our experienced faculty and practitioners.
This 30 hours program starts on Monday at noon and closes on Friday at noon.
New York City
Who Attends This Program?
While you will meet an international mix of participants from various industries, the Mergers and Acquisitions program is frequently attended by mid-management and senior executives in the C-Suite, directors of public and private companies, board leaders, and heads of strategy and corporate development. It is also geared toward advisers, investment bankers, transactional lawyers, and private equity investors. Not only individuals participante, but often whole teams as well.
See who has attended our programs:
What Is Covered in this Program?
This cross-disciplinary curriculum provides a holistic view of the M&A process – from strategy and valuation to execution and post-merger integration management.
You will delve into the challenges and opportunities presented by new technology and learn all the terminology and best practices for cross-border deals, corporate inversions, earn-outs, spin-offs, restructurings, corporate governance and more opportunities. Different strategic approaches for private and public companies will also be examined.
The IM&A program is structured in four modules based on our IM&A Framework and Body of Knowledge:
Essentials of M&A
This module covers the fundamentals of Mergers & Acquisitions:
- Deal types: What are the different types of transactions that you can use in M&A? There is a whole range of deal types and deal continuum that we look at, e.g. the full spectrum from minority stakes to full acquisitions, various ways to arrange a merger, leveraged buy outs (LBOs), initial public offerings (IPOs), divestitures, spin-offs, equity carve-outs-
- M&A Process: The program covers both perspectives from a buyer’s perspective (buy side) and from a seller’s perspective (sell-side). We explore how to seek buyers or potential targets (long list & short list) and how to run a sale in various ways (negotiations and auctions).
- Strategies for M&A: We dive into the strategies for Megers & Acquisitions. How can you create competitive advantage through M&A, diverstitures and equity alliance?
- M&A Negotiation: How can you prepare for the negotiation phase? What are ways to arrange a value creating deal?
- Introduction to Due Diligence: How do you prepare for and execute a smart Due Diligence to assure value creation? What are the different areas that can be covered in the Due Diligence process?
- Success Factors in Transactions: We explore the success factors and key challenges and mistakes to avoid. Which M&A tactics work in which industries?
- Takeover Strategies and Defence Tactics: How can you prepare your company against a hostile takeover attempt and reduce potential threats? Which are the defence mechansims that you can put into place and how affective are they? Which ways exist to acquire a business successfully in a hostile way?
In the Due Diligence module, we discuss the key questions and topics to address in a due dilligence. It covers the followin areas of DD indepth:
- Financial Due Diligence
- Tax Due Diligence
- Legal Due Diligence
- Human Resources (HR) Due Diligence
- Commercial Due Diligence and
- other Due Diligence areas
In the valuation module, you will explore the
- Different Valuation Techniques for Mergers & Acquisitions: Various techniques such as Discounted Cash Flow (DFC) modelling, Transaction and Trading Multiples, and more will be explained step by step including a demonstration of building models in excel.
- Private Equity & Start Up Valuation
- Deal Financing & Payment Structure
- Deal Design & Structure
Post Merger Integration (PMI)
The Post Merger Integration module gives you a thorough introduction into the following aspects:
- Integration Governance: Project Management and Work Stream coordination
- Synergies: Identification of Growth and Cost Synergies and their realization
- Function Integration: How to integrate the different business functions, e.g. Sales & Marketing, Finance, HR, etc.
- Change Management and Cultural Issues: How to deal with differences and success with Communication and Change Management.
- Online Program $2990 USD
Onsite Program $4990 USD
- 30 hours onsite or approx. 60 hours online
- Leading faculty from academia and the industry
- Split into four, easy-to-digest modules
- Content updated regularly
- Life-long access to the most up-to-date online course content
- Onsite programs include hard copies of all presentations and materials
- IM&A Designation upon completion
- First year of Annual Membership Fee
- Access to the entire IMAA e-Library
- Global network of charterholders and experts
Online Self Study Option
The online course offers all the extensive training of the onsite course but with maximum flexibility for busy professionals. This course is designed for self-study, with on-demand video lectures and required readings. The course assignments include real-life business case studies, multiple choice questions, and more. There is no time constraint to complete the online course; so you can set your own schedule and work at your own pace.
The onsite version is held in an intensive 30 hours program (in 4 or 5 days depending on the location). The program is taught by leading faculty members in the industry and specialized subject matter experts to provide participants with the most up-to-date and practical content available. The faculty combines global thought leaders and regional experts. The onsite training allows participants to ask questions and network with an elite and diverse group of professionals.
Become part of a global network and community
Order a Brochure
The IM&A Designation
After successfully completing the course, you will receive the IM&A Charter. The IM&A is the most internationally recognized designation offered in the field of M&A. This charter signals to peers, clients, employers, and other professionals that you have completed the most comprehensive M&A education program available and are proficient in all areas of the mergers and acquisitions process.
All Course Materials and Access to Bonus E-Library Included
All mandatory material as well as recommended readings are included in your tuition. As a bonus, since learning is a continues process to stay abreast of new challenges and opportunities, you gain free 1-year membership to our unique and extensive Learning Center resources. This covers unlimited access to our proprietary e-Library which includes M&A research, and cutting edge publications from our expert faculty and other global thought leaders.
Accreditation and Recognition
We are the global number #1 provider in M&A education. Companies sign up their employees in order to prepare for transactions or to enhance their qualification for the next promotion. Future employers reach out to us to check the credentials of candidates and their current status as a charterholder. Potential clients look to us to recommend advisors.
We are a high quality provider and are recognized by many other institutions as a continued education provider. Find out more about our accreditations and recognition.
Comparison: Online vs. Onsite Program
|Real-life business cases|
|All mandatory course materials included|
|Lifelong online access to most current content|
|1-year Individual IMAA Membership|
|Start right away|
|On-Demand video lectures & direct tutoring|
|No time constraint|
|Work from anywhere in the world|
|Different dates & locations worldwide|
|Networking with peers|
|Complete the program in 6 days|
|Meet face to face with faculty|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
If you have any questions, please do reach out to us by:
see our international contact details
How long does it take to complete the M&A Certificate?
The IM&A Certification is designed as a part-time program for professionals. The total time of completion depends on your prior background and time you can devote to this. In total for the online program it may take about 100 hours of study. Our fastest participants complete it within 2 months.
What is included in the fee?
Our tuition fees include all mandatory and recommended study materials. In addition you get access to our e-library.
When can I enroll for and start with the IM&A Certificate?
You can enroll at any time for the Certificate Program online and start right away. For our onsite M&A courses please check the dates and locations.
Can I take the M&A Certificate entirely online?
Yes, you can take the entire program online from anywhere in the world or while travelling. This is what many of our participants do. For the completion of the M&A Certification there is no physical attendance necessary. However, you can combine online with onsite workshops to reach your designation.
How many participants take your M&A programs?
Our courses and programs in Mergers & Acquisitions, Due Diligence, Valuation and Post Merger Integration (PMI) have taken by more than 1’500 participants from all around the world.
What is the difference to other training providers?
We are the number #1 provider and set the standards. Compared with academic executive education offerings, our faculty members are not pure academics – they have closed M&A deals as professionals themselves. So you don’t gain only purely theoretical insights, but you will learn hands-on knowledge. Compared with for-profit providers, we are purely focused on M&A trainings and bring in a solid foundation, great structured approach to learning, and the international dimension – and we reinvest in improving our offering.
What is the difference to other certificate programs?
If you compare our programs with the CFA, CAIA, CIMA, or others – we are purely focused on M&A only and are very complementary to these programs. There is very little overlap among the content and insights that our programs provide. Most of them accept our program as continued education.
Where can I ask more questions about your M&A training?
If you have additional questions, please reach out to us via chat, contact form, or give us a call. We are looking forward to hearing from you and learn about your needs and questions.
Order a Brochure