Risks of AI to M&A Professionals

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Jamie Morgan
    Participant

I’m interested in gauging the general feedback on this one – what are people’s opinions on some of the risks that AI may pose to both the M&A process and also M&A professionals?

Ilze Skadina
    Participant

I think the AI should not replace a human professional due to risks it can’t foresee, like some bias and fairness issues, ethical concerns etc., at the same time using AI for faster data analysis will differentiate between an efficient M&A professional and just an “average” one. The main risk for M&A professional is to stick to old practices and not follow the development of AI and not learning to use it’s advantages.

Tim Collman
    Participant

I believe that AI will ultimately have a very big impact on the M&A industry (and many others). As the programs get better, you will see it replace most of the diligence processes and many of the target identification processes. Professionals will still be needed to assess the deal beyond “it looks good on paper”.

Mirli
    Participant

Thanks for sharing this best stuff with us! Keep sharing! I am new to blog writing on devops training in kolkata All types of blogs and posts are helpful for the readers.

Thinus
    Participant

I agree that some of the tasks like data gathering and analysis will be taken over by AI technologies, but there is still a fundamental need for a human element in looking at the information and understanding the impact on the organisation. As organisations are made up of individuals from multiple regions areas etc. the cultural and ways of working elements will still pay a vital role. Secondly, although AI can speed up the search process and possible opportunity identification, there is still many conversations happening outside public knowledge and strategies and synergies that an AI would not necessarily identify as good fit mergers.

Like in other industries the tasks that are candidates for machine learning will be taken over. I feel that a lot of the tasks in due diligence will be taken over by AI e.g. AI will be able to read through legal documents and provide exposure summary. Similarly valuation models / sensitivity analysis and value recommendations will likely be automated and drive by AI too. This means probably the overall cost of the deal making may come down and the speed of analyzing potential deal will increase. Nevertheless M&A professional will remain but only those who are able to use the AI tools 🙂

Sina Rohde
    Participant

To me M&A is Science & Art. Hence from my perspective AI can and will certainly impact the science piece of it, as pointed out in the above comments, basically providing better data faster starting already in the screening phase. However managing the overall project and looking to the aspect of managing sentiments of people I do not see AI taking over that part. Potentially though AI can support by providing insights into the most likely human behavior in various scenarios which then may help navigate.

Chris
    Participant

In my experience, AI will ultimately improve the efficiencies of M&A.
    We have used AI extensively to add “different thinking” to areas like culture, experience bands, geographical mindset considerations, etc.
    AI will enable teams to shorten and improve different phases of the M&A, both directly and indirectly. I’ve provided some direct examples above. Indirectly, think about how AI has improved the efficiecny of developers. In doing so, the cycles to integrate two different platforms will be drastically reduced, and in turn, reduce the overall time for a full integration process.
    Exciting times.

Zoltan
    Participant

Hey everyone,
    Let’s cut to the chase. In my opinion AI in M&A isn’t a threat; it’s a powerful tool, much like computers once were.
    AI could streamline tasks like data analysis, making us more efficient. Instead of replacing us, it enhances our abilities, letting us focus on strategy.
    But we must use AI responsibly—ethically, protecting privacy, avoiding bias, and staying compliant.
    My bottom line is: AI will support M&A professionals.

JAL
    Participant

I believe AI could be helpful in some areas of M&A process, but we need to consider that AI relies heavily on data and the M&A process involves handling sensitive information. There is a risk of data breaches or leaks, leading to compromised confidentiality and potential legal repercussions. Another aspect to consider is a potential bias in the AI algorithm, such bias could lead to flawed-decision making (i.e. target selection).
    An overreliance on AI recommendations could pave the way for diminished critical thinking and human judgment. Blinding following AI could result, at the end, in missed opportunities or poor decisions.

I think human beings are still relevant and needed to do some actual ground work, e.g. due d on the stores, factories, etc.

Sean Shapiro
    Participant

it will have a large impact in the due diligence and financial modeling process and make transactions on the smaller scale much more sophisticated and informed since parties can leverage AI technology instead of getting high level education.

Angus Dahl
    Participant

Due to hazards that AI cannot predict, such as difficulties with prejudice and fairness, ethical considerations, etc., I believe that AI should not take the position of human professionals. However, utilising AI to analyse data more quickly can help distinguish between “average” and effective M&A professionals. For M&A professionals, the biggest danger is continuing with outdated procedures, failing to keep up with AI’s advancements, and failing to see its benefits.

Stefan Kramer
    Participant

I agree with the assessment in previous answers. I strongly believe it will become an integrated part of M&A work, but not replace the human impact. Negotiations, relationship building and cultural fit will not be replaced by AI soon. In my opinion it will enable to scan more targets more efficiently and create a broader and better decision basis for executive management. The biggest risk is to ignore the power of it and stay with current processes as mentioned many times before.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the science, guys.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Are you sure you
want to log out?

Book a Demo

Book a Demo

Request a Brochure

Request a Brochure

Contact us to discuss your goals and needs!

Contact us to discuss your goals and needs!

In order to become a charterholder you need to complete one of the IMAA programs