Who to Keep?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    James Elding
    Participant

Wondering if anyone has practical lessons about who is retained after a merger is complete and where positions need to be rationalized due to redundancy? What about in the case where both managers perform equally, what do you do then?

Jess Munford
    Participant

I don’t have a practical example but is there another role in the organization that one of the managers could be fit for base on skills or career goals? It seems like it is hard to find great talent right now so maybe there can be some sort of creative retention plan.

Michele Learn
    Participant

Where possible find work for both even if it means in another area of the organization or in a way that enhances/improves the output and productivity of their existing department.

Laura Impelluso
    Participant

If both people are great performers I tend to say that the person belonging to the acquirer team would keep his position. In any case, depending on their seniority, a solution for the redundant person could be an interim position which could stimulate his commitment in the company to develop new skills while helping the productivity of the company, ie anticipate the release of a product, optimize some processes etc.

Wilhelm Lee
    Participant

In my experience, the purchaser was much larger so naturally they got to make the call and they installed someone from their side. The seller’s former CEO was made a VP, but was also let go after 1 year or so.

Jianping Gu
    Participant

There won’t be any two employees are the same. Look into the fundamentals, what the organization needs, what the team is like, what workforce to be formed, etc. This should also include individual’s personality, the immediate manager’s approach, personality, etc. There are so much to consider and balancing. I would suggest to make a comparison table to map out the two managers strength, weakness, whether well fit the team, all the elements on one page. Then interview each of them to have an honest talk. Also think the long term collaborations. This is my HR experience taught me how to recruit managers. Hope this helps.

Laurence Hall
    Participant

I would add that looking at past performance is one way to consider who to keep, but I would be thinking about the business strategy post merger and who would be best placed (considering career aspirations) to move the merged company forwards. Interesting post, thank you.

Claire Lee
    Participant

It depends on the business strategies and purpose of merger. While both managers perform equally in their own entities, it is important to keep the person who can best contribute to the strategy after the merger.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Are you sure you
want to log out?

Book a Demo

Book a Demo

Request a Brochure

Request a Brochure

Contact us to discuss your goals and needs!

Contact us to discuss your goals and needs!

In order to become a charterholder you need to complete one of the IMAA programs