What is the key success factor for M&A

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Yuin Harng Ng
    Participant

What are the key criteria we should look for, which could enhance a company’s business model?
    What are the key skillsets and members we need in our M&A team to source for opportunities, complete the deal, and integrate properly?

Ali AlZahrani
    Participant

with a high failure rate of M&A deals reaching up to 90% according to Harvard Business School, answering this question is not straight easy. This is in my opinion due to many factors influencing this process where many are out of the M&A team control. To me, the fundamental success factor is the M&A team, an experienced and well trained team can make a big difference.

Teo Han Guan
    Participant

In fact, my belief is that there is always a value for the company being acquired, otherwise the acquiring entity will not spend money to acquire that company. But what is the reason why when the acquired company is merged under the acquiring company then everything goes in the opposite direction of initial plan?

I think it could come from few aspects, namely human judgement error or biasness, hidden agenda, inaccurate data and asymmetric information.
    It is not uncommon that people always have errors in judgement or biasness in their thinking, especially for some managements, since they are holding up high position and they have to materialize what they have devoted or resources deployed, even though they realize their mistake or biasness during the half way of M&A process, sometimes, they still go ahead with the entire process otherwise their reputation will be doubted or questioned. secondly, they do not set the right hypothesis at the beginning, or the hypothesis set are not fully relevant to the core of the issues. thirdly, they do not get the high quality of data to testify their hypothesis and eventually the decision was misled. Last but not least, the entire M&A process was surrounded by a bunch of people, and sometimes different people has different agenda and that situation will deviate the original aim and purpose of the M&A and eventually the result was at the opposite direction of initial goal.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Are you sure you
want to log out?

Book a Demo

Book a Demo

Request a Brochure

Request a Brochure

Contact us to discuss your goals and needs!

Contact us to discuss your goals and needs!

In order to become a charterholder you need to complete one of the IMAA programs