The five competitive forces by M.Porter: theory or practice?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

During this training, for the first time, I read the article by M.Porter, “The five competitive forces that shape strategy”.

I like this article and the topic very much. For the first time, I understood what “strategy” could mean.

On the other hand, this article and the approach sound very “perfect”.

I wonder if companies apply this approach to evaluate their position or if it´s just a theoretical article without being practically implemented.

Shunji Brown-Woods
    Participant

I believe that it can be applied, but there is a realism required to be adaptable. The circumstances don’t always clearly align in a plug and play model; therefore, the “perfection” that you stated seems unrealistic. I agree that it is perhaps one of the best depictions of “strategy”. In many organizations, there are individuals who loosely understand what strategy means and this may be the crux of the inability to perfectly apply the model.

Hi !

I firmly believe that this is a very comprehensive and practical framework to go about developing strategies. The fact that this article shares deep insights on how to go about it practically, by analysing each of those 5 components at an industry level, makes it a very handy tool to apply them effectively and make successful strategies. Hence, I find the approach suggested here to be very much application-oriented given the length at which the author has gone to explain and shared techniques.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Are you sure you
want to log out?

Book a Demo

Book a Demo

Request a Brochure

Request a Brochure

Contact us to discuss your goals and needs!

Contact us to discuss your goals and needs!

In order to become a charterholder you need to complete one of the IMAA programs