Startups how to prevent hostile takeover

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jianping Gu
    Participant

When a startup holds certain technology (IP), how to prevent industry value chain giant hostile takeover?

Jianping Gu
    Participant

Thank you so much for your offer. However, I prefer do it by myself. Cheers

Andrea Chiu
    Participant

@Jianping Gu, I’m not sure what you are asking in your question, because hostile takeover of a business doesn’t necessarily equate to loss of IP as IP rights like patents and trade marks are legal rights. So even if there is a hostile takeover of a business, you’d still need to go through the process of assigning IP rights owned by the target to the acquiring entity, and this can get messy in a hostile situation. In the case of IP rights that are registered with the IP offices of certain countries, you’d need to work with IP agents/professionals to record the change in IP ownership. For unregistrable IP such as trade secrets and copyright (in most countries), this is done contractually. I guess if your plan is to prevent hostile takeover, then you either refuse to cooperate with the assignments, or find a way to make the IP redundant (which would be a waste). Hope this helps.

Gretchen Asher
    Participant

I’m certainly not an expert on this topic but there may be a few things that a company can do:
    1. File for patents to protect their IP.
    2. Limit trade secrets disclosure to only a select few people.
    3. Or…if it is indeed a hostile take-over there is always the attempt to prevent the takeover by employing a poison pill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Are you sure you
want to log out?

Book a Demo

Book a Demo

Request a Brochure

Request a Brochure

Contact us to discuss your goals and needs!

Contact us to discuss your goals and needs!

In order to become a charterholder you need to complete one of the IMAA programs