Selecting a post-merger integration team – finding the right members/skillset

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sam Chee
    Participant

From where should acquiring companies draw the members from – internally, target company, independent/external, or a mix?

If a mix, what would be a good proportion such that institutional knowledge (of acquirer and target company) is preserved while maintaining objectivity and focus (i.e. no baggage)?

Would these members – assembled for a specific, time-limited assignment – feel uncommitted as they do not see a future with the new organisation? If so, what are some ways to overcome such barriers – e.g. promising members permanent roles in the new organisation?

Ahmed Zainalabedin
    Participant

I believe it depends on several factors such as the type of the deal, desired culture, value drivers , and so on. The most critical factor would be to select a manager for the integration team who was involved in the acquisition from day one to ensure achievement of strategic objectives through continuity and proper integration.

In my opinion, the best is to have a number of integration teams by function (HR, Sourcing/Procurement, Finance/Accounting/Tax, Legal, Relevant Business/Marketing as needed) reporting back to a central team. Before day 1, the integration team(s) can mainly be formed by associates of the purchaser depending on the level of disclosure that was agreed with the target company while after Day 1, it is important to have mixed teams to align processes and systems (or implement the alignment that was agreed before Day 1).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Are you sure you
want to log out?

Book a Demo

Book a Demo

Request a Brochure

Request a Brochure

Contact us to discuss your goals and needs!

Contact us to discuss your goals and needs!

In order to become a charterholder you need to complete one of the IMAA programs