Risk of tight scope DD and Opportunity Cost in M&A

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Bradley D. Soto 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Fernando
    Participant

Sometimes we can get blinders wanting to close a deal. “Closing” becomes the ultimate goal and we’re unable to see other opportunities that may arise in the DD process. Do you believe that part of the DD process should include an adversarial team dedicated to providing alternative investment ideas for the investor (same quality returns or better) or should the DD process remain focused on the target and nothing else?

Mohamed Emara
    Participant

DD should be independent of investment opportunities and focused on its scope to attain the objectives of this important phase. Critical decision will be taken based on the results of the DD and high cost might be incurred if a wrong decision is taken because of foggy results.

Anjeli Narine
    Participant

Sitting on the legal side of acquisitions, I see that often the commercial team is very excited about the prospect of acquisition and can rush DD and ignore or excuse red flags found in the due diligence process. I agree with Mohamed that the DD process should be singularly and objectively focused on the target but think that it is a good idea for there to be “devils advocates” in the decision-making process following the DD to highlight red flags and even benchmark against other investment opportunities. This could mitigate the “group think” that can happen during M&A.

Justyna Nascimento
    Participant

I think it is a great idea.

The DD process may identify fantastic opportunities.

I.E. analysing competitors you may identify a potential new deal for your business.

Another example is learning about the company environment and identifying great gaps in the market

Totally agree to the view points…

Bradley D. Soto
    Participant

Polycom in its past had a “Yes” and “No” team that would be established during the preliminary DD phase to help determine whether the further pursuit of a target would be warranted given the time and expense involved. Agree that once detailed DD activities begin, that those are focused on the target. However, the rationale of both the “Yes” and “No” teams during preliminary DD could provide the DD team with better or more specific questions to ask the target during the formal process.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Loading.. Please wait