Optimal Deal Structure – M&A

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Moazzam Khawaja
    Participant

When negotiating an M&A transaction, there are many issues that should be addressed up front. typically, below alternatives exist for structuring a transaction:

1) stock purchase; 2) asset sale; 3) merger

It is important to recognize and address material issues such as: transfer of liability, third party consents, stockholder approval and tax consequences.

What do you think from a buyer or a seller’s perspective?

Greg Jessup
    Participant

From the perspective of the buyer I would much rather it be an asset sale. Much less complicated and you can pick and you can negotiate what assets are brought over.

Ruth Ng
    Participant

From a seller viewpoint, it seems stock selling having the simplest process in comparison of asset sale and merger. If I had a choice, I won’t be strict into the merger unless a good reason.

Yanxuan Yang
    Participant

It will always be on a case-by-case basis. From a seller perspective, some considerations would be whether I would like to retain control of the business operation, whether there is any benefits from doing a merger (e.g. tapping on a greater platform from the buyer), or whether a simple asset sale is sufficient because the ultimate goal is just to cash out.

Michel Kropf
    Participant

I am not sure there is an optimal deal structure as it depends on many factors: specifics of the business, country tax and legal environment, time to complet the deal.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Are you sure you
want to log out?

Book a Demo

Book a Demo

Request a Brochure

Request a Brochure

Contact us to discuss your goals and needs!

Contact us to discuss your goals and needs!

In order to become a charterholder you need to complete one of the IMAA programs