Lessons Learned During M&A Process

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bonnie Sahni
    Participant

Identify lessons that you have learned going through the M&A process

Charanjit Sodi
    Participant

Below pointers are what I learned from M&A Process
    > Time priority
    > Due Diligence process and procedure to be handled carefully
    > Ensuring NDA is super confidential between NewCom and target company executives
    > Pricing and handling GTM post-merger should be a top priority (Ensuring new customer has company visibility and targeted company should not overlook them)
    > New employee from NewCom should not ver overlooked
    > Communication for full integration to all stakeholders

Cody Eberhardt
    Participant

PEOPLE! When going through a M&A you need to remember that you are dealing with real people, it isn’t just a company. These people have lives and they depend on their job. They are going to be nervous and want to know everything that is happening with them. Remember, these people didn’t apply to your company, they didn’t necessarily ask to work for this new company. Be compassionate.

Hamood Alhajri
    Participant

There are many lesson learned points. But I would list 2 significant some points:

1- ensure to have access to the VDR any time.
    2- appropriate/organized repository to reduce the time for the crew when searching for documents.

Vahid Sharif
    Participant

I had following experince from my last acquisition experience :

1)increase my negotiation skills specially for price negotiations
    2) increase my personal M&A knowledge otherwise I should pay lots of money to legal advisors for tiny things,

Kishore Ganesh
    Participant

Time

If Multiple acquisitions are in plate then it becomes difficulty to manage priorities for an aggressive aspirations of PEG.
    Time is the enemy of all M&A deals for a seller. The price and terms typically only get worse if the process drags on, and there is the risk of the deal falling apart. New issues could arise that result in the price being lowered. The M&A process can take a very long time, and there has to be a driving force on the sell-side and timetable to get the deal to closure. It also helps for there to be a dedicated advocate on the buy-side of the deal to keep the deal moving along.

Competitive Process

One of the most important steps in accomplishing a successful M&A exit is to get multiple potential buyers interested. A competitive process helps ensure getting the best price and the best terms, and allows a company to fend off unreasonable requests from one bidder.

Due Diligence Preparation

Sellers have to understand that they will be subject to an extensive due diligence investigation, and they must be prepared in advance for all that entails. The buyer will want to see detailed financial statements, copies of all material contracts, information on key intellectual property, employee and benefit arrangements, and much more. Normally, the seller needs to have all of that information in an online data room, which can be quite time-consuming to get correct and complete. Sophisticated bidders will tell the selling company that preparing a comprehensive and well-organized online data room is important. The company will typically respond that it is organized and on top of it—but the selling company often doesn’t understand the enormity of the undertaking involved.

Lindsey LeClair
    Participant

Hi Bonnie! Jumping on the time bandwagon – everything takes longer than you think it will so it’s important to be realistic when setting deadlines and creating schedules. Adding extra time for unforeseen competing priorities is also a really good idea.

Kishore Ganesh
    Participant

Companies consolidate to remove excess capacity, increase market access, acquire technology more quickly than it could be built, develop new businesses, and improve the target company’s performance.
    Time is enemy.

Necole Ezell
    Participant

Engage the IMO in due diligence and begin integration planning as soon as possible. If you are not starting integration planning until after close you will begin the acquisition at a deficit.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Are you sure you
want to log out?

Book a Demo

Book a Demo

Request a Brochure

Request a Brochure

Contact us to discuss your goals and needs!

Contact us to discuss your goals and needs!

In order to become a charterholder you need to complete one of the IMAA programs