Learning from M&A Mistakes

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Chris
    Participant

I am going to share a real life tale from the tech world that I was part of. I’ve only changed the company names. VCorp’s acquisition of Calendar X in 2021.
    The Players:
    VCorp: A big player with 800 employees, known for its disciplined approach, especially in R&D. Think scrum, agile methodologies – a place where processes are king.
    Calendar X: The opposite end of the spectrum. Small, facing financial troubles, with only 15 employees. Their CEO? A coder and technologist with a love for diving into code and big on ideas, but not so much on process.
    Culture Clash:
    Size and Structure: From Calendar X’s flexible, informal setup to VCorp’s structured corporate giant – a mix bound to stir the pot.
    Management Style: Calendar X’s whimsical, code-focused leadership versus VCorp’s methodical management – two worlds colliding.
    Skill Levels: Calendar X employees faced a reality check – they were now part of a team with higher overall skill levels, a tough pill to swallow.
    The Fallout:
    After 2.5 years, all Calendar X employees had left or were let go from VCorp. A complete turnover, signaling deep integration issues.
    Takeaways:
    * Culture Matters: Merging an informal culture with a formal, process-driven one is no small feat.
    * Skill Expectations: The disparity in skills can shake up team dynamics significantly.
    * Change Management: How you handle the transition can make or break the integration.
    * Leadership Alignment: Different leadership styles and visions need to find common ground.
    In conclusion, this case study is a reminder that M&A isn’t just about strategy and finances; it’s also about people, culture, and the subtleties of bringing different worlds together.
    Looking forward to your thoughts on this merger saga!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Are you sure you
want to log out?

Book a Demo

Book a Demo

Request a Brochure

Request a Brochure

Contact us to discuss your goals and needs!

Contact us to discuss your goals and needs!

In order to become a charterholder you need to complete one of the IMAA programs