Integration management transition to operations

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  cjohnson 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Julie Meador
    Participant

I’m interested to hear at what point other companies transition integration management from IMO to the operations team: How is the decision made? What is the average length of time before the transition occurs? At my company, since IMO is lightly staffed, transition typically happens within first 90 days – by this time the execution plan is clear. Probably this timeline would not work if M&A is transformational for buyer.

cjohnson
    Participant

My experience in acquisitions is predominantly using the absorption model. Over time, we moved towards a properly resourced Integration Management Office, but I would still consider it to be lightly staffed. Operations teams know they will ultimately be responsible for the new acquisition, so their desire is to be involved as early as possible. It takes intentional leadership to hold everyone accountable to their established roles. I found that having operations involved in key decisions in the integration plan, alleviated some of their concerns. I think the real turning point for us was when we installed a trusted operations leader (temporary assignment) into the target company on day 1. This operations leader worked alongside the integration lead to execute the integration plan. We designed checkpoints at which the operations team took on certain responsibilities.
    In summary, I don’t think transferring responsibility for integration management is a “switch flip”. It can be a staged process. Assigning a trusted operations leader to work within the target company on day 1 was key for us.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Loading.. Please wait