Integration and Culture

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Carolina Batista 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Sonia Shah
    Participant

Considering the human talent and culture of the organization is not only important in the acquisition decision, but often critical to integration. What are some of your thoughts on the keys to evaluating and executing these areas successfully? I believe it is cruical to understand the target culture of the combined company but who is the “cultural acquirer”? and how do you decide?

Billy Fok Kam Luen
    Participant

I would what is the plan for the company once the acquisition is over. there must be a reason why the buyer want to buy this company, because of the talent that the seller has. change management needs to understand and address all these to all staff. identify the gaps, address it, and handle with care. but for sure that there will people object it and leave the company

Jubran Alshahrani
    Participant

Hi,

I am sure there are a number of methodologies used to analyze culture. It is very important to have high alignment on culture especially if the synergies require strong integration between the companies. Here are few things that can reflect on culture:
    1. HR policy and procedure. This will show how aligned they are when it comes to setting the rules for employee conduct. If one company has few guidelines and rules while the other has a library for guidelines and rules and then enforces them with a system, then you know the companies most likely will not have alignment on culture.
    2. Diversity. A lot has been written about the role of diversity on culture and innovation in a group. Looking at the diversity level of the companies will show how they mostly likely to work together.
    3. Age groups, while not supported, I believe a review of the age groups can be a sign of trouble when integrating cultures. This should analyzed and followed with a survey to see how well the age groups impact culture.

Honest and open feedback from the start. Making sure communication plan is developed and everyone is on the same page with organized meetings and time lines. Understanding department and functions of departments and not assuming everyone does it the same way. Culture fit is key so coming in humble and learning their culture not with the attitude of we are replacing everything you have done here over the years.

Carolina Batista
    Participant

Hi Sonia.
    What I have been noticing from the M&As I’ve been part of (as Legal) is the HR is very little involved in the beginning of the process. Once they are involved, quite often the decision of moving forward with the transaction has already been taken. That being said, the HR role limits itself to find a way integrate the teams and culture. Their role should be: can the culture be integrated at all? If so, at what cost? They should have a voice BEFORE the decision of the deal is made.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Loading.. Please wait