Initial Due Diligence

This topic contains 8 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Pablo von Siebenthal 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Carolina Batista
    Participant

Which department you think should run the initial due diligence (to look for the first red flags) before moving forward to a more detail analysis/DD?

Navdeep Singh
    Participant

I believe that depends upon the business objective and the associated function to achieve the business objective. If the business objective is just to induce new technology e.g. Amazon acquired Zoox – then I think for them it is most important to understand R&D, software engineering, etc.
    In general, Finance, Legal should be the first one to run initial due diligence.

Shariq Akber
    Participant

I understand it differs from acquisition to acquisition and the industry M&A is taking place. However in general I believe commercial DD could be the starting point.

Mandana Javaheri
    Participant

It depends on the acquisition I would say but even then, I don’t believe just one department or function can do the initial DD. I believe as part of the initial DD, buyers should do financial, technology/product, sales/GTM process, and overall culture fit DD.

Eric Hubacheck
    Participant

In technology, I firmly believe it’s a non-starter if the developers don’t green light it first. It should always be possible to view the specs for potential integration, they’ll be able to spot some flags immediately, such as if the technology itself is stacked well, written in the right language, and compatible with your product (if looking to integrate products).

Rochelle Ramos
    Participant

Finance and legal should be involved from the beginning of due diligence. That said, depending on the type of company being acquired, different key personnel should be involved. For example, years ago I was involved in the acquisition of an escrow office. Finance and legal where involved immediately but we also brought in key escrow officers to determine if processes were compatible and cultures were in alignment. The financials showed for a successful acquisition, but being that escrow is a very relationship based environment, it was key to determine if the staff was likable and skilled in their profession in order to continue success.

Gina Miele
    Participant

Our company has the CEO and Director of M&A run the initial due diligence before including other departments. The CEO has a strong understanding of all sides of the organization, and our Director of M&A is incredibly well-versed in the industry. Once an LOI is signed, our CFO, COO/CIO, and legal are involved in the next steps of DD.

Petros Lampropoulos
    Participant

it depends on the acquired entity. Generally (and if in place) the corporate development/strategy perform an initial due diligence to confirm that the opportunity meets the acquisition standards and there are not obvious red flags. However in many times the technology department is involved as well to test the tech in place and evaluate the integration process.

In our company we usually have a combined team Strategy/Corp Dev, M&A and business unit looking initially at targets. If there is commercial merit in pursuing it, additional functional experts are involved. I find that in many cases relevant information for legal and other expert teams to review only becomes available at due diligence.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Loading.. Please wait