HR Integration Failures

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    David C
    Participant

Within any M&A and integration, the HR/people element tends to be an afterthought.

Although integration teams succeed in integrating both companies’ HR systems, technology, and processes ‘on paper’, they don’t always devote much attention to the different stakeholder groups. This can create a ‘culture vacuum’ – where stakeholders from both the acquired & acquiring firms are ‘left in the dark’ & uncertain of their future in the integrated company. Such a conundrum can foster ‘merger syndrome’ & job anxiety – both of which can accelerate voluntary turnover & impede productivity.

So in order to have a successful HR integration, integration teams need to prioritize stakeholder involvement & communication from the start.

What are your thoughts on the topic?

John Olmstead
    Participant

I can understand that. Hr is key and we plan on it from the beginning. That said there are still issues that arise. Of ten in larger companies integration into HR systems etc are multi department functions and they often are not aware of the steps each other must take.

Jamie M
    Participant

The original integration management team at our company worked to have a single point of contact from each functional team or workstream such as HR, comms, IT etc. These M&A professional worked withing each of their areas to establish a playbook. In some areas this worked and still does. However HR appears to have high Turnover and the expertise is lost.

Bahiya
    Participant

My exerince is that expertis is lost when HR do not insure for those a kind of spesial treatment. e.g key employee for eanch deparment get a kind of bonus to stay within company for spesific periode of time for exmapel 3 years.

Ed Dennis
    Participant

HR, Communications, and Change Management represent your three-legged stool and are essential to any successful integration. Great thoughts and commentary here, appreciate David asking the question.

Alan
    Participant

Pretty good though there David. If I may add – in some acquisitions, the acquiring firm plans to take over the assets. There is an inherent belief that people would stay as long as money hits their account. But as in most cases, these transactions end up failing. I did encounter a client who refused to do a cultural and HR DD because they were ‘multicultural’ and it would not make sense. They believed that people integration would be automatic. It was not long before most people who did not fit the parent companies ‘culture’ left, and the first closed down in a few years.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Are you sure you
want to log out?

Book a Demo

Book a Demo

Request a Brochure

Request a Brochure

Contact us to discuss your goals and needs!

Contact us to discuss your goals and needs!

In order to become a charterholder you need to complete one of the IMAA programs