HR Integration and Communication

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Yaw Adom-Boateng 5 days, 19 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Rochelle Ramos
    Participant

Hello,

From our course studies, we are aware that people issues during the integration phase of mergers and acquisitions include retention of key talent, communications, and most importantly integration of corporate cultures. I’d like to create a plan for future M&As at the company I work for. Would you recommend HR be part of the initial communications, or let that fall to the more senior leadership? Would you recommend that HR travel to the acquired company and spend a day addressing individual concerns?

Gina Miele
    Participant

I do believe there is value in involving HR in the early stages of integration. Our VP of HR travels to the acquired company on Closing Day and has individual meetings with as many employees as possible during that first week. This assists with both the onboarding process and enables the personnel of the acquired company to ask questions that may not be answered by other members of leadership.

Bradley D. Soto
    Participant

Great question. We involve our HR leader in the Cultural Due Diligence process ahead of closing (this includes meeting with the Target company’s leaders & employees + asking questions to understand the similarities & differences between the two companies). This allows for the human resources integration planning to begin early on which includes internal communications and announcements.

Natalie Trabert
    Participant

I agree that HR involvement is important prior to close. Focus group and/or a climate survey (sponsored by HR) may be good tools to use for cultural due diligence if the target company is willing/able to do it.

Awais Dilawer
    Participant

Yes, HR must be involved in the merger and acquisition process to know the talent, skills and expertise of employees of the other company. It could help in making on time decisions regarding retaining and firing employees after the merger.

Yaw Adom-Boateng
    Participant

HR is one of the key aspect of post-merger integration. In fact, every aspect of the integration depends on people (HR) and therefore it is imperative to involve HR at the very early stages in the M&A process, bearing in mind that communication is crucial in achieving a successful M&A transaction.

I would not recommend that your HR travels to the acquired company to address individual concerns. Instead, concerns should be addressed holistically in line with the corporate objective for the new firm.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Loading.. Please wait