Getting management on board with early planning

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Corynne Pierce 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anne Becker
    Participant

What’s the best way to get management on board with early planning? We have some managers at the top that wait until the last minute to share key information during DD while trying to plan for integration – makes it difficult.

Renata Porto
    Participant

Hi Anne,
    I say you have to escalate your concern through your integration governance (do you have a transition mgmt team or council?). When speaking up, be specific about the information you need and why. Also, sell the importance of information sharing. This happens often as many leaders don’t really understand the importance of aligning early on goal and strategy.

Dale Deg
    Participant

Anne,
    Here are few thoughts regarding your question. When you say “top” managers, are those Directors or V.P levels? If yes, I would think there are issues with 1) workload/responsibilities 2) lack of proper prioritization and 3) lack of acceptance/understanding of the importance of integration process. Many times, their minds are in the silo mode, worried about their area and from literature and our instruction, tend to underestimate the importance and negative impact of a “poor” integration. They need to understand the time spent up front in planning will save them time and pain later. The trick is how to get them to get on board without alienating them.
    Regards,
    Dale

Hussam Ahmad
    Keymaster

There should be regular and clear communication between the IMO, Steerign Comitte and the decisionamakers. Dale correctly pointed out the lack of understanding when it comes to poor integration. Early alignment is crucial and without key decision makers taking active part, could lead to further comfusion, lack of clear vision and instructions and Day 1 calamity.

Corynne Pierce
    Participant

We typically treat M&A’s the same way we do a project. there are two phases and each has an executive project sponsor. I have worked on the integration side the most so I can speak to that area more. This has been helpful because we can work with the integration project sponsor early to make key decisions about strategy. Usually that means we need to bring many department VP’s in for discussion months before closing so that we have a strategy in place for integration. Once the executive sponsor is onboard and understands they are responsible for the strategy, it has been easier for us to get other leadership to work through strategy with them. It holds both the sponsor and the VP’s involved accountable. If someone were to not show up for a meeting on strategy, the sponsor will hold them accountable to ensure they have what they need in order to make a decision.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Loading.. Please wait