Earn Outs as part of acquisition deal

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Denise Gingolaski
    Participant

I am curious of how other companies deal with earn outs as part of the acquisition. In my company’s first few acquisitions, there was an earn out provision whereby former owners could earn x dollars if the revenue hit a certain level or maintained a certain level over the course of the first year or two.

It was turning into an integration nightmare because my company would want to change the billing cycle for the acquired customers. Or we would want to change the payment terms. The former owners would be upset because they thought customers would leave if that was changed. They also would say we were comparing apples to oranges if they had a certain dollar amount of revenue in one year and because of a different billing cycle, the revenue was different. Many of our acquisitions involved smaller businesses who followed the cash basis of accounting rather than the accrual basis. It was difficult (nearly impossible in some instances) to integrate if we were expected to calculate an earn out.

Also, you can’t really tell the former owner that their earn out is the least of our concerns during the integration process, when the earn out is their only concern.

In later acquisitions, we took any earn out discussions off the table for deals.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Are you sure you
want to log out?

Book a Demo

Book a Demo

Request a Brochure

Request a Brochure

Contact us to discuss your goals and needs!

Contact us to discuss your goals and needs!

In order to become a charterholder you need to complete one of the IMAA programs