DD by Industry

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Tobias 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Seun Yakub
    Participant

In what industry do you think there is the highest and lowest level of DD? This is comparing transactions of similar size and complexity.

Mohamed Emara
    Participant

If the highest level in the question refers to the complexity of due diligence, I think that will be associated with specialized pharmaceutical companies and those involved in high-tech solutions. The lowest level would be retail business.

Gabriele Frigerio
    Participant

I don’t think due diligence complexity is market driven. I think it depends mostly on kind of transaction and nature of businesses involved. What is your opinion?

Surabhi Khanna
    Participant

Due diligence varies between countries, industries and buyer/seller’s internal practice of M&A. It’s definitely complicated in tight government-regulated sectors like healthcare, gas etc.

Korath Wright
    Participant

In my opinion, the required level of Due Diligence depends on the risks involved. Higher risk transactions may require more Due Diligence. These risks may be inherent to the transaction or specific to the transaction, while some industries are naturally higher risk than others.

Risks that are inherent to the transaction include those relating to transaction type, such as an R&D merger carrying higher risks of impacts from key staff departures.

Risks specific to a transaction include those related to the individual company situations, how specific market conditions impact the deal, or other environmental impacts that are specific to a transaction. These also include accounting for the individual investors appetite for risk.

Industries that have higher risks may be those that engage in operating activities which could incur more material liabilities; such as those with safety challenges, or that involve high levels of regulated activities, or are exposed to more significant amounts of litigation. Financing and investing activities can be risky, depending on their historical and current performance, such as tax liabilities from a previous tax position taken. Financing and investing risks exist across industries, however can be more prevalent in some industries. For example, blockchain ICOs (initial coin offerings) which started offerings in 2014 and peaked in 2017, skirted regulation and had significantly higher risk of investment and financing liability exposures, which results in increased need for DD.

Tobias
    Participant

An industry with high DD level is the financial services industry because of special regulations, the complex to value business models and their importance to the overall economy. That’s why most advisors have special Financial Services teams.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Loading.. Please wait