Change management difficulties

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Thomas Teltscher 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hello, one statement in the change management lecture resonated quite well with me and referred to the verbal and active resistance which speaks up and can be easily identified – the statement was about using that “energy” and convert it into positive energy. But what about the non-verbal, passive resistance (e.g. increased sick days etc.) – I find it incredibly hard to identify that (and determine if related to the M&A) and to find the right measures to combat it – what are your observations?

Sandie
    Participant

This is an interesting topic and one not just related to M&As but to all types of change activities. Passive resistance can be difficult to spot, but once you are aware data trends may be one way to identify if there are any correlations between recent changes (like M&As) and the observed behavior. If such correlations are identified I would approach the relevant areas, teams and individuals with an open and curious approach, to do exactly what you say here – identify if there is also causality to be found. I would do so by being present, face to face and be curious, not through surveys or top down communication. Spend time with the people and ask questions about their work and there daily activities. I often find it surprising how much people are actually willing to share once you dedicate time to listen to them with an open mind.

CHEE KOK SENG
    Participant

1. Lack of Executive Support and Active Sponsorship.
    2. Inadequate Change Management Buy-In and Resourcing.
    3. Resistance and Lack of Support for the Specific Solution.
    4. Change-resistant culture and organizational structure.
    5. Change saturation and lack of prioritization.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  CHEE KOK SENG.

Thomas Teltscher
    Participant

It’s a good question I think. In my experience, it is key to talk to people as much as possible and take time to really understand what is going on. I always find this difficult to do in an integration as there is so much going on and there is a lot of time pressure to get things done, but I keep reminding myself how important it is to take time and have the informal conversations. People will often tell you if something is going badly from their perspective when they realize you are honestly interested in learning what they think.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Loading.. Please wait