China - M&A Statistics
M&A Information about China. IMAA offers a large collection of M&A information for China. In this section, we provide you some information about M&A in, from and into China. The IMAA Insitute offers full individual and corporate members additional prepared research covering a broad range of topics. So, become a full member here.
M&A in China
In this section of the M&A statistics, we collect and regularly update information on national M&A as well as cross-border M&A from (outbound) and into (inbound) China and Hong Kong. As a free user or paying member of our Institute, you have full access and can also download more data and documents (please see our Membership section to sign up).
Announced M&A in China and Hong Kong by Numbers & Value by Years
Since 1988, more than 73’550 mergers & acquisitions transactions have been announced with a known value of almost 4’675 bil. USD. In 2016, over 7’860 deals with a total value of over 740 bil. USD have taken place.
Announced Monthly M&A in China and Hong Kong
In January 2016, 617 transactions with a value of 73.5 bil. The month with the highest number of deals and the highest value was December 2015 with 1096 announced deals and a value of 144.2 bil. USD.
The month with the highest frequency of deals is December with 9’241 deals which represents 12.6% of all M&A. February is the month with the lowest frequency with 4’063 transactions which are 5.5% of the deals.
The month with the highest value of deals is Dezember with 560 bil. USD of deals which represents 12% of all M&A transactions. February is not only the month with the lowest frequency, but also with the lowest value with transactions worth 276 bil. USD which are 5.9% of all deals.
Announced Quarterly M&A in China and Hong Kong
Announced M&A in China and Hong Kong by Industries (2000-2016)
The industry with the largest M&A activity in terms of transaction value has been the financial sector – representing 16.8% of all deals with a total value of 753 bil. USD. Second most important industry by value is the Materials sector with 558 bil. USD worth of transactions. The Industrial industry reached the third rank with 527 bil. USD of deals.
The industry with the largest number of transactions has been Industrials– representing 14.2% with a total number of over 9’737 transactions. The second most active acquirers are companies from Materials with more than 9’516 deals accounting for 13.8% of transactions. Financials companies are the third most frequent industry in terms of consolidation with 13.8% of all deals.
Largest M&A Deals in China and Hong Kong
|Rank||Date||Acquiror||Nation||Target||Nation||Value (in bil. USD)||Value (in bil.EUR)||Value (in bil.GBP)||Status|
|1||03.26.2014||CITIC Pacific Ltd||Hong Kong||CITIC Ltd||China||42.2||32.0||25.5||Completed|
|2||02.29.2000||Pacific Century CyberWorks Ltd||Hong Kong||Cable & Wireless HKT||Hong Kong||37.4||38.4||23.5||Completed|
|3||01.09.2015||Spin-off||Hong Kong||Cheung Kong (Hldg) Ltd- Ppty||Hong Kong||36.9||32.7||24.1||Completed|
|4||10.04.2000||China Telecom Hong Kong Ltd||Hong Kong||Beijing Mobile,6 others||China||34.2||39.7||23.8||Completed|
|5||05.25.2008||China Unicom Ltd||Hong Kong||China Netcom Grp(HK)Corp Ltd||Hong Kong||25.4||16.4||12.9||Completed|
|6||01.09.2015||Cheung Kong(Holdings)Ltd||Hong Kong||Hutchison Whampoa Ltd||Hong Kong||23.6||20.0||15.6||Completed|
|7||10.14.2015||China Tower Corp Ltd||China||China-Telecommun tower asts||China||18.3||16.1||12.0||Completed|
|8||08.22.2012||China Telecom Corp Ltd||China||China Telecom Corp-3G Assets||China||18.0||14.4||11.4||Completed|
|9||06.30.2014||Investor Group||China||Sinopec Sales Co Ltd||China||17.5||13.5||10.7||Completed|
|10||05.23.2016||Maanshan Dingtai Rare Earth &||China||SF Holding (Group) Co Ltd||China||16.8||15.0||11.6||Completed
Announced M&A from the China and Hong Kong to Abroad (Outbound)
In 2016, Chinese and Hong kong companies have announced almost 823 acquisitions worth 145.9 bil. USD. Compared with the year before the numbers have increased by +27.8% and also their value has increased by +61%.
China and Hong Kong Acquisitions Abroad by Target Nation (2000-2016)
Below you will find a map of the number and value of transactions by Chinese and Hong Kong companies abroad as well as a table of these countries. Chinese and Hong Kong companies acquire most companies in United States, Australia, and Singapore. The UK ranks 5th in terms of frequency of deals (see additional information on UK – China M&A below) while Germany which ranks 9th.
China Hong Kong M&A Abroad by Numbers
China and Hong Kong M&A Abroad by Value (in bil. USD)
China and Hong Kong M&A Biggest Deals Abroad (Table)
|Status||Value (in bil. USD)||Value (in bil. EUR)||Value (in bil. GBP)|
|1||07.30.2010||Investor Group||Hong Kong||EDF Energy-UK Power Distn Bus||United Kingdom||Completed||9.1||6.9||5.8|
|2||10.01.2010||China Petrochemical Corp||China||Repsol YPF Brasil SA||Brazil||Completed||7.1||5.2||4.5|
|3||04.13.2014||MMG South America Management||Hong Kong||Xstrata Peru SA||Peru||Completed||7.0||5.2||4.2|
|4||03.16.2016||Anbang Insurance Group Co Ltd||China||Strategic Hotels & Resorts Inc||United States||Completed||6.5||5.8||4.5|
|5||10.24.2016||HNA Tourism Group Co Ltd||China||Hilton Worldwide Holdings Inc||United States||Pending||6.5||6.0||5.3|
|6||02.17.2016||Tianjin Tianhai Invest Co Ltd||China||Ingram Micro Inc||United States||Pending||6.1||5.5||4.2|
|7||10.25.2007||ICBC||China||Standard Bank Group Ltd||South Africa||Completed||5.6||3.9||2.7|
|8||01.15.2016||Qingdao Haier Co Ltd||China||General Electric Co-Appl Bus||United States||Completed||5.6||4.1||3.3|
|9||12.04.2016||Investor Group||Hong Kong||DUET Group||Australia||Pending||5.5||5.2||4.6|
|10||10.21.2016||Chongqing New Century Cruise||China||Alpha Frontier Ltd||Israel||Pending||5.5||5.1||4.5|
|12||12.19.2007||China Investment Corp||China||Morgan Stanley||United States||Completed||5.0||3.5||2.5|
|13||11.11.2011||SIPC||China||Petrogal Brasil Ltda||Brazil||Completed||4.8||3.5||3.0|
|14||05.29.2013||Shuanghui Intl Hldg Ltd||China||Smithfield Foods Inc||United States||Completed||4.8||3.7||3.1|
|15||09.03.1998||Hong Kong Monetary Authority||Hong Kong||HSBC||United Kingdom||Completed||4.7||4.2||2.8|
|16||04.12.2010||SIPC||China||Syncrude Canada Ltd||Canada||Completed||4.7||3.4||3.0|
|17||07.30.2016||Investor Group||China||Playtika Ltd||Israel||Completed||4.4||4.0||3.3|
|18||03.13.2013||Petro China Co Ltd||China||ENI East Africa SpA||Mozambique||Completed||4.2||3.2||2.8|
|19||08.22.2005||CNPC International Ltd||China||PetroKazakhstan Inc||United Kingdom||Completed||4.1||3.4||2.3|
|20||07.11.2016||Investor Group||Hong Kong||Thomson Reuters-IP & Science||United States||Completed||3.6||3.3||2.3|
M&A by Foreign Acquirers into China and Hong Kong (Inbound)
In 2016, 408 deals by foreign companies into China and Hong Kong have been announced. Compared with the year before the numbers have decreased by –11.7% and also their value has decreased by -48.8%.
Acquisitions by Foreign Companies into China and Hong Kong by Acquirer Nation (2000-2016)
Below you will find maps of the numbers and value of transactions from foreign companies in China and Hong Kong. Most frequent acquirers into the China and Hong Kong come from United States, Singapore and Japan. Germany ranks 12th in terms of frequency of deals (see additional information on US – China M&A below) lower than Malaysia which ranks 6th.
Map of Foreign M&A into China and Hong Kong by Numbers
Map of Foreign M&A into China and Hong Kong by Value (in bil. USD)
China and Hong Kong M&A Biggest Deals Inbound(Table)
|Rank||Date||Acquiror Name||Nation||Target Name||Nation||Status||Value (in bil.USD)||Value (in bil. EUR)||Value (in bil.GBP)|
|1||12.05.2012||Investor Group||Thailand||Ping An Insurance (Grp) Co||China||Completed||9.4||7.2||5.8|
|2||06.16.2005||Bank of America Corp||United States||China Construction Bank Corp||China||Completed||7.1||5.6||4.7|
|3||04.11.2001||DBS Group Holdings Ltd||Singapore||Dao Heng Bank Group(Guoco)||Hong Kong||Completed||5.7||6.4||4.0|
|4||03.21.2014||Mayon Investments Pte Ltd||Singapore||AS Watson Holdings Ltd||Hong Kong||Completed||5.7||4.1||3.4|
|5||03.30.2015||Investor Group||Qatar||Shandong Dongming Petrochem||China||Pending||5.0||4.6||3.4|
|6||01.06.2014||OCBC Pearl Ltd||Singapore||Wing Hang Bank Ltd||Hong Kong||Completed||4.8||3.5||2.9|
|7||04.21.2006||PSA Corp Ltd||Singapore||Hutchison Port Holdings Ltd||Hong Kong||Completed||4.4||3.6||2.5|
|8||08.31.2005||Investor Group||United States||ICBC||China||Completed||3.8||3.1||2.1|
|9||08.13.2012||Investor Group||United States||Focus Media Holding Ltd||China||Completed||3.6||2.7||2.2|
|10||04.25.2017||Bach Finance Ltd||Cayman Islands||Nord Anglia Education Inc||Hong Kong||Pending||3.4||3.1||2.7|
|11||11.16.2006||Investor Group||United States||Guangdong Development Bank||China||Completed||3.1||2.4||1.6|
|12||08.18.2005||Investor Group||United Kingdom||Bank of China Ltd||China||Completed||3.1||2.5||1.7|
|13||03.14.2014||St James Holdings Ltd||Singapore||Perennial RE Hldg-Asts||China||Completed||2.8||2.0||1.7|
|14||11.15.2010||AXA SA||France||AMP Ltd-AXA Asian Business||Hong Kong||Completed||2.6||1.9||1.6|
|15||11.24.2004||Investors(Non-US)||Supranational||Link REIT||Hong Kong||Completed||2.6||2.2||1.5|
Announced M&A from the UK into China and Hong Kong
Since 1988, UK companies have announced almost 554 acquisitions in China and Hong Kong with a total value of 38.8 bil. GBP or 60.6 bil. USD. Last year 23 deals had been announced which is an increase of 77% compared to 2015. The value of 0.6 bil. GBP in 2016 however represents an increase by +20%.
Announced M&A from China & Hong Kong to the UK
Since 1988, companies from China and Hong Kong have announced more than 407 acquisitions with a total value of 55.7 bil. GBP. Last year 59 deals had been announced which is an increase of +11.3% compared to 2015. The value of 7 bil. GBP or 9.1 bil USD in 2016 is a decrease of 48.9%.
Announced M&A from the US into China
Since 1991, US companies have announced almost 2’153 acquisitions with a total value of 99.2 bil. USD. Last year 50 deals had been announced wich is a decrease of -36.7% compared to 2015. The value of 1.2 bil. USD in 2016 represents a drop by more than two third (-76.9%).
Announced M&A from China & Hong Kong to the US
Since 1985, companies from China and Hong Kong have announced more than 1076 acquisitions with a total value of 186.6 bil. USD. While in terms of numbers, US companies have made more transactions in China than the other way round, when it comes to value – Chinese companies have spent 87.4 bil. USD more in the US than US companies in China . Last year 164 deals had been announced wich is an increase of 75.3% compared to 2015. The value of 78.6 bil. USD in 2016 represents an increase of 428%.
Unless otherwise stated source for all statistics is: Thomson Financial, Institute for Mergers, Acquisitions and Alliances (IMAA) analysis.
Other China M&A Reports
Apart from performing our own analysis on M&A trends, We collect reports from different sources:
- 2009 The Emergence of China: New Frontiers in Outbound M&A
- China Mergers & Acquisitions Playbook: Reference Guide to Planning and Executing Deals (2011)
- 2014 Greater China Outbound M&A Spotlight: More experienced Buyers – Higher Return Expectations
- 2015 Greater China Outbound M&A Spotlight: China Outbound Momentum Unabated Despite Economic Uncertainty
- All Deloitte China M&A Reports as ZIP File
- Chinese Acquisitions in Germany: An Analysis of Acquisitions from 2004 to 2014 (in German)
- Outlook for China’s Outward Foreign Direct Investment (FDI): Riding the Silk Road: China sees outbound investment boom (2015)
- Chinese Acquisitions in Germany: An Analysis of Acquisitions from 2005 to 2015 (in German)
- World class aspirations: The perceptions and the reality of China outbound investment (2010)
- Demystifying Chinese Investments in Australia (2011)
- Investment in China: Numbers and Trends (Q3 2012)
- Investment in China: Numbers and Trends (Q4 2012)
- Demystifying Chinese Investments in Australia (2012)
- Investment in China: Numbers and Trends (Q1 2013)
- Investment in China: Numbers and Trends (Q2 2013)
- Investment in China: Numbers and Trends (Q3 2013)
- Investment in China: Numbers and Trends (Q4 2013)
- Investment in the People’s Republic of China (2013)
- Demystifying Chinese Investments in Australia (2013)
- Demystifying Chinese Investments in Australian Agribusiness (2013)
- Investment in China: Numbers and Trends (Q1 2014)
- Investment in China: Numbers and Trends (Q2 2014)
- Investment in China: Numbers and Trends (Q3 2014)
- Demystifying Chinese Investments in Australia (2014)
- Demystifying Chinese State Owned Enterprise (SOE) Investments in Australia (2014)
- Demystifying Chinese Investments in Australia (2015)
- China Outlook (2015) including Mergers & Acquisitions
- All KPMG China M&A Reports as ZIP File
- Mainland China & Hong Kong M&A Trend Report (H1 2013)
- China & Hong Kong M&A Trend Report (Q1-Q3 2013)
- All MergerMarket China M&A Reports as ZIP File
- China M& 2012 Review and 2013 Outlook
- China and Europe M& (2013)
- China M& 2013 Mid Year Review
- China M& 2013 Review and 2014 Outlook
- China Private Equity 2013 Review and 2014 Outlook
- China M& 2014 Mid Year Review
- China M& 2014 Review and 2015 Outlook
- China Private Equity 2014 Review and 2015 Outlook
- China M& 2015 Mid Year Review
- China M& 2015 Review and 2016 Outlook
- Chinese Acquisitions in Germany 2016 (in German)
- All PwC China M&A Reports as ZIP File
- China Outbound M&A Trends (2012)
- China Outbound M&A Trends (2013)
- All Squire Sanders Boggs China M&A Reports as ZIP File
Articles about Chinese M&A
- China’s Global Challengers – The Strategic Implications of Chinese Outbound Mergers & Acquisitions (2006)
- M&A in China: Getting Deals Done, Making them Work (2015)
- Gearing Up for the New Era of China’s Outbound Mergers & Acquisitions (2015)
- All BCG China M&A Files as ZIP
- China’s Growth on the World Stage (2012) including Mergers & Acquisitions