Languages and M&A

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Issa Fallouh
    Participant

How do we approach the ongoing communications for a new acquisition where most employees don’t speak a common language with the acquirer company?

Brant Miller
    Participant

Hello Issa,

This question is intriguing, not one I have had the opportunity to work through personally. I could see this being handled in different ways depending on the integration strategy (e.g. full integration vs. maintain separate businesses). As I’ve worked in an organization that had employee groups who spoke over 8 different languages, I can tell you that there was a sub-group in the permanent Communications workstream dedicated entirely to ensuring effective translation of all relevant communication materials (they had a very detailed matrix on what needed translation for enterprise-wide use vs. what could be developed and distributed by the regional business). There were multiple translators hired outside of the company on contract that did all of the translation to ensure accuracy with both wording and intent.

Sina Rohde
    Participant

I had one example in which this was partially the case. On management level using English language as the common language worked mostly. However among the workforce that was not quite the case. For this reason all important communication pieces got translated into their language and at meetings where we would share information, many of them I did personally I would do in English and then have a translator with me who would translate and enabled a dialog. And then of course to resolve the issue several language courses were offered that improved the situation, that is of course over a period of time.

Zoltan
    Participant

I personally believe that addressing language barriers and cultural differences is best achieved through fostering a culture of integration. Encouraging interaction and learning among diverse employees not only facilitates communication but also promotes unity and cultural competence. By embracing this approach, organizations can navigate M&A complexities with agility and ensure harmonious coexistence.

Arsha Dharmapalan
    Participant

Post merger integration is an important aspect here. In this case, translating the all the important communication pieces is relevant. language training assistance may be also provided.

Andre Catrou
    Participant

Usually it is possible to rely on local stahkeholders to perform translation if required. If not, translation agency or local consulting team specialized on change management might be required

Macarena J.S.
    Participant

It is fundamental to hire a translating company to avoid any kind of misunderstanding in these critical processes. And not only a translating company, a translating company that is aware of the cultural differences to understand how to explain the process

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Are you sure you
want to log out?

In order to become a charterholder you need to complete one of the IMAA programs