HR Involvement in M&A

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ilze Skadina
    Participant

As an HR professional, when do you usually get involved in the M&A deal in real life and what topics you are asked to cover? It would be interesting to explore real life practices in comparison with the theory and assumed best practice.

Brant Miller
    Participant

In my experience HR is usually involved once due diligence starts to get serious. This can be under several of the major diligence categories from operations, risk, legal, or people. Best if each functional group has experienced representation on the diligence team. After that, HR would be engaged and likely have a workstream in early-mid integration planning. For those in HR outside of the deal/integration leadership, likely would be day one.

Chris
    Participant

Ilze,
    I agree with Brant on this one.
    We involve HR as soon as due diligence starts. The most important aspect of the acquisition is people and culture. We have gone through several acquisitions wherein the culture and people caused challenges despite HR being involved early. However, I am glad that we did so our HR team could learn some tough lessons and improve our overall processes. We are now in a much better place.
    HR is critical.
    Chris

Sina Rohde
    Participant

Hi, I second that, from my experience HR is involved when official DD starts. One of the tasks is cultural assessment, org structure review, if available do an assessment on salary structure of the target company in order to determine if any changes are to be expected. And also HR plays a vital role in shaping day 1 experience for the employees of the acquired company.
    Best
    Sina

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Are you sure you
want to log out?

Book a Demo

Book a Demo

Request a Brochure

Request a Brochure

Contact us to discuss your goals and needs!

Contact us to discuss your goals and needs!

In order to become a charterholder you need to complete one of the IMAA programs