Recently, my organisation started discussing a merger with another organization. The deal is not yet done, but so far everything that could have been done wrong, was done wrong. So following a list of things to not do 🙂
– Have no clear team that is responsible for negotiating the details.
– Do not include people in the negotiations who will be most affected by the merger.
– Do not communicate with the two teams about the progress/process.
– Ask people to prepare calculations, but don’t tell them the reasons for it.
– After two months of discussions, start asking yourself if this merger is really what you want.